During the winter, I’m all about hearty comfort foods for dinner. I love warming up my belly with a nice, big Italian dish like Chicken Parmesan and Chicken Cacciatore…who doesn’t, right? These dishes taste great, but they won’t help you get bikini ready any quicker, that’s for sure! It was Brett’s turn to cook dinner the other night, so he made one of our favorite Italian dishes, only with a much healthier twist…I think I’ll keep him around after this yummy dish =) This is Brett’s very first recipe contribution on Picklee, introducing Brett’s Skinny Chicken Cacciatore recipe!
Brett’s Healthy Chicken Cacciatore [recipe]
- 1 lb. boneless & skinless chicken breasts, sliced and pounded thin
- 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
- cooked whole wheat thin spaghetti (standard serving is one cup of cooked pasta per person)
In a large skillet, bring 1 tbsp. olive oil to medium heat. Lightly coat chicken with herbs de Provence, salt & pepper, then add to skillet. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown, then remove from pan and set aside.
In same skillet, bring remaining (1 tbsp) olive oil to medium heat. Add onion, carrots and bell peppers then saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add white wine and crushed garlic, cook on medium for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Last, add crushed tomatoes and basil. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Top whole wheat pasta with a chicken, then pour sauce on top. Sprinkle a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the sauce if you wish =)